Thursday, February 16, 2012

About Communication

What I expect to learn from the Blog project:

I expect to learn about Japanese culture in general when I watch the other peoples projects. From my groups project I expect to learn more about Shintoism --if my part of the project is focused on the role of rice in Shintoism and Japanese culture-- and a little about the foods they have chosen. I expect that I will learn a couple of important extra words and structures like I learned in the projects of previous semesters and that my knowledge of the words that I am studying will become more solid.

What communication means to me:

It is my belief that a large part of who we are stems from communication:  what we communicate and the communication we receive determines the majority of our experiences, identities, and beliefs. We are constantly communicating, whether the expression on our face leads a stranger to believe we are kind, or scratching an itch lets everyone around us know that we have one. There a a number of people who feel that communication defines them to such an extent that that they attempt to create communications such as art or writing which will be read forever because they feel that if they do, they will achieve a kind of immortality. I personally am not concerned with this, but I understand that communication can greatly effect the state of the involved parties, so when possible, I try to use it as advantageously as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I think doing the project about Japanese Shintoism is an amazing idea.
    Being a Korean, I know much of Japanese culture values in that much of them are shared, but Shintoism is unique Japanese culture that is limited to Japanese continent. It is different from other religions in that it does not put emphasis on next life or acting good.
    Rather it is about purification of the state.
    I would be happy to learn more about Shintoism from the project!

    I agree with your definition of communication. WIthout communication and language, we would not be able to define what we see and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project idea seems very interesting. As someone from China, I understand how important rice is, and I would be interested to learn what role rice play in Shintoism in Japan.

    You also gave a comprehensive meaning of communication, which includes not only written or spoken language but also body languages and other actions. For example, scratching is a type of communication that I normally wouldn't notice.

    ReplyDelete